This spicy little number will warm you up from the inside out and gives you the option of keeping it healthy or piling on the good stuff for added flavor. I like to make this on a Sunday afternoon and pack it to take to lunch with me throughout the week. I usually choose to keep it simple by adding my extras to the soup itself but it would be great with cornbread too! I hope that you enjoy!
- cooking spray
- 1 medium onion, uncooked and finely chopped
- 4 medium garlic cloves, minced
- (3) 15 oz. canned black beans, undrained
- ½ tsp red pepper flakes
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 14 ½ fat free chicken broth
- 10 oz. canned tomatoes with green chilis
- 11 oz. canned yellow corn, drained
- Coat the bottom of a large sauce pan with cooking spray. Add onion and garlic and cook, stirring frequently until onions are soft but not yet brown.
- Pour one can of beans into blender and add sautéed onion/ garlic mixture, red pepper flakes and cumin. Blend together until smooth. Pour all into a lined crockpot.
- Pour second can of beans and broth into blender and puree until smooth; add to crockpot.
- Add in third can of beans (do not drain or puree), tomatoes and chilies and corn into crockpot.
- Cook in crockpot, covered, on low for 6 hours or on high for 4 hours.
- For a less healthier version; top with tortilla strips, sour cream and shredded cheese